Saturday, August 17, 2013

First week in Kuwait

So a lot has happened during this first week in Kuwait. Lets start with the journey to kuwait shall we?

So I left Monday August 12th, and the first leg of my journey was from Manchester to Newark. Well that flit got delayed by 30 minutes which was no big deal because I had a 2 hour layover in Newark before my second flight to D.C. So I arrive in Newark only to discover that my Newark to D.C flight was delayed 30 minutes cutting my 50 minute lay over to 20 minutes, which in Dulles international airport is crazy. Well as I wait for my flight it got delayed even more to 44 minutes, which now left me with a 6 minute layover. So my original flight out of Newark was supposed to leave at 7:35pm and arrive in Dulles at 9:10 and departing Dulles for Kuwait at 10pm. Well our flight left Newark at 9pm so needless to say I was never going to make it to Kuwait for Tuesday night. So after arriving at 10:10 in Dulles and missing my plane, I went to customer service and they helped me get rebooked. They ended up booking me on the same 10pm flight but on Tuesday night with me arriving on Wednesday now instead of Tuesday. In addition to rebooking my flight the put me up the landsdowne resort for free which was gorgeous and gave me $30 in food vouchers. 

   


It's beautiful I know. So after my great nights stay I had to check out of the hotel by 2pm which meant I had to sit in he airport for the next 8 hours waiting for my plane at 10pm. After sitting in an airport for 8 hours we finally board 20 minutes late, and we depart for our 19 hour trip to Kuwait. I slept off and on he whole trip and watched various movies which the selection was awesome.
So at 5:00pm Kuwait time on Wednesday I finally arrive, one of the last people to arrive. We blew through the Visa and customs departments and departed for the hotel. We arrive at the hotel around 6:30 and check in and get to meet with the people we have been corresponding with for months. We had missed the orientation meeting so they let us gab dinner and crash as we had been traveling since Monday.

Tuesday morning I got to do all my paperwork before the 2 hour bus tour on the country. We got to see the city and major landmarks.


After our city tour we had a chance to stop at a mall and have lunch. After lunch we were whisked away to our apartments where we could settle in before dinner. Our apartments are gorgeous and beautiful.

     Kitchen/ dinning room


     Kitchen 


     Dinning room


    Living room


    Office/ guest room

    One of 2 bathrooms

   Master bedroom

    The view from my 12th floor balcony


So after seeing our apartments we got changed and headed to dinner at ruby Tuesdays which was right next to the Kuwaiti towers which were all lit up.



Friday was our free day to sleep in and get settled into our apartments and unpack. After unpacking a new friend Mary and I went for a swim in our new pool before meeting up with some other friends to go to an awesome middle eastern restaurant in our neighborhood. 

Today they took us shopping to the Lulu market for groceries and anything else we needed. Tomorrow we will start our first day as teachers as we get to see the school and start our professional development. 

I am so happy to be here and while it was rough leaving my family, and friends I have met so many amazing people. It has been an amazing journey with many ups and downs but in the end I could not be happier with my decision to come here. Stay tuned for more updates.






No comments:

Post a Comment