Sunday, May 17, 2015

A European Christmas part one......

As most of you know last year I surprised my parents and came home for christmas. This year I told my parents and family I was not coming home for christmas, and this year I really meant it. I decided to travel with my friends Jamie, Jeff, and Reidun. We knew we wanted to spend time in Europe, and since we have 14 days to travel we finally settled on spending 3 days in Munich, Germany, and then 10 days in Rome, Italy. If you know me at all, you know that Rome has been the #1 destination on my travel list for probably the last 10 years, ever since a friend traveled with our university to Rome. So we booked our tickets, and our hotel and our trip was set. Unfortunately Reidun who was supposed to not go to Munich, but meet us in Rome got very sick the week before with pneumonia and wasn't able to travel with us!!

Our flight plan was to fly from Kuwait to Jordan, then Jordan to Munich where we spent 3 days before taking a short commuter flight to rome. Well...... in true Eric travel style our plane from Kuwait to Jordan could not land because of fog! We circled Amman, Jordan for about 2 hours before we finally landed, and the answer to your question is yes, our plane had already left for Munich. Because our plane was gone and everyone else on our flight was trying to make connections as well, we were not a priority and we had to wait quite awhile before getting any answers. We were told that the next direct flight to Munich was in 5 days. Well.... that was not going to fly in our books so they booked us on a flight to Frankfurt, then another flight to Munich, getting into Munich about 8 hours later then planned. As you can guess my luggage did not arrive in Munich, and either did my friend Jeffrey's, surprisingly enough Jamie's did. They did locate my luggage and say it was Jordan and they should have in the next 2 days before I left Munich. After checking into our hostel, we were dead tired so we crashed pretty hard.


Stranded in Jordan




Thankfully I had packed some clothes into my carryon, but one thing I did not was my winter coat it was in the checked luggage, and needless to say I froze, I was basically a popsicle. We spent our first day in Munich walking around and visiting different christmas markets. We got to drink mulled wine, and spiced eggnog, and see all the different crafts. The majority of the 3 days spent in Munich, was going around to the different christmas fairs. We did go to the Hofbrauhaus, which is the former Royal Bavarian Brewery. We got to have lunch, and here traditional German Oompa Band music and have sausage, and schnitzel.

Getting ready for our first day in Munich, was a bit cold with no winter coat










Now with our time wrapping up in Munich we have a 9:30am flight on Rayan Air to rome. It was a short one hour flight and was super cheap, and we were told that the airport for Rayan air was also in Munich West. Boy was that a lie and so untrue. Thankfully on our first full day in Munich we asked and was told that the airport was about 90 minutes away in another town. While out and about we decided to figure out how to get to the airport. We were told we would need to take a train, then take a bus, then a cab to get there. The woman at the train station told us that the train and bus would arrive at 7:45am and our flight was at 9:30. She claimed we would not have enough time to check in and make our flight. Since we were in a foreign country we believed her. So what was out other option. The woman told us we would need to catch a midnight train ride to Buchloe which was about an hour away. Then we would have to get off and wait 3.5 hours to catch another train, then catch a bus and our taxi. Well we got to the train station and got onto our train. We met a very nice gentlemen on the train who spoke very good english and we had a nice conversation with him. We get to Buchleo and realize that the train stop we have to wait at for 3.5 hours is outside and it is freezing cold out, and everything is obviously closed because it's the middle of the freaking night. We all put like 8 layers of clothes on and bundle up for a long wait. Jeff decided to walk around to see if there was a place where we could wait inside and no such luck. He did find a taxi that would be wiling to drive us the 1 hour to get to the airport. It was a 60 euro ride but we were freezing and we didn't care.

After warming up, we arrived at the airport at 3:30am. Upon arrival the airport is very very dark and there is really no one around. The taxi driver informs us that the airport does not open until 6:00am.  Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! So we grab our luggage and hunker down on the cold hard concrete for the 2.5 hour wait. There did happen to be another couple there waiting as well. Jamie re-layered and shielded herself with the luggage and laid down on the concrete and tried to sleep. For awhile I walked around with Jeff looking for things that were open, no luck. Jeff who still have no luggage from when Jordan Lost it, walked around looking for things to make a fire to keep warm. The other couple had a lighter, but the problem was that all the grass and sticks were damp and wet from the dew in the air, so whenever we got a fire started it went out in seconds. Now my hands were freezing, and I had no gloves so I put socks on my hands. Yes you read that right socks. To help with the fire cause I gave Jeff a pair of socks to burn which kept the fire going for about 15-20 minutes then it fizzled out. After the fire was gone I decided to lay down with Jamie to try and stay warm. Shortly after the heavens parted and the lights inside the airport came on, and the doors were unlocked and we flew into that airport so fast I think the poor woman opening the doors got whiplash.

We waited for the check in counters to open checked in, got something to eat and drink to warm up. We waited for our flight and boarded and were off to Rome. For the record Rayan Air is the most Janky, jacked up, cheap, budget airline I've ever flown on. The seats were so close together the person in front of me was basically sitting in my lap and the one drink we were offered was not free!!
So I think this will conclude part one of european christmas vacation. Stay tuned for part 2 and the Rome Portion of the vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment